Thursday, January 6, 2011

I Use A Lot Of Words...

I like words.

I happen to use a lot of them. Because it seems that I talk a lot. And I talk more, and faster, when I get excited or nervous...

I recently started putting words on paper in the form of a book, that I hope to finish this year, then see where it goes from there.

In the meantime, I thought I'd start sharing some of my word's and their meanings every now and again.

Take for instance the word gregarious~
[gri-gair-ee-uhs] –adjective
1. fond of the company of others; sociable.
2. living in flocks or herds, as animals.
3. Botany . growing in open clusters or colonies; not matted together.
4. pertaining to a flock or crowd.

Use it in a sentence:

It was a Gregorius little group that gathered around Grammy's little island in the kitchen. Laughter was the main form of communication as they amassed  a plethora of items to express themselves with the play dough they excitedly helped make, on this grey and stormy December day. 



Being a gregarious person myself, it makes me very happy that this passel of grand children are companionable too.

Don't be afraid to crack open a dictionary to find the perfect word, and, how to use it...you may be surpised to read a book or article with a dictionary as a companion...it may open up deeper meanings.

Go now. Have fun with words. May God bless.



Here is what the thesaurus had to share about the word:
Main Entry: gregarious

Part of Speech: adjective
Definition: friendly
Synonyms: affable, clubby, companionable, convivial, cordial, fun, outgoing, sociable, social.

Main Entry: companionable
Part of Speech: adjective
Definition: friendly
Synonyms: affable, amicable, buddy buddy, clubby, complacent, congenial, conversable, convivial, cordial, cozy, cozy with, familiar, genial, good-natured, gregarious, intimate, mellow, neighborly, outgoing, pally, palsy, sociable, social, tight, tight with.

1 comment:

  1. I just got an app for my IPOD (I got one for Christmas- finally!!) that is the dictionary and it has a word of the day. I need to remember to read that more often, because I HATE when I can't think of the word I need!

    ReplyDelete