Monday, August 3, 2009

Knitting Lessons...

Early Saturday morning out on the porch swing.
Can you think of a better place to learn to knit?
Aunt B (not to be confused with Aunt Bea from Mayberry) has been teaching people all different kinds of handwork for a pretty long time now-I know, because she taught me to knit about 1976 or 1977...but that's another story...
This last Saturday found her teaching my daughter how to knit which was a good thing. You see although my daughter loves me very much and I love my daughter very much, we have found that car rides together and me teaching her things or trying to get her to pose for pictures? Yeah-not bloody likely.

Aunt B on the other hand is someone she will listen to more easily...and so the lesson begins...




Now just a dad-gum minute!!!
What happened to the big sister that taught me to knit?! The one who would slap my hand when I kept goofing up the same thing?
mumble, mumble,...grumble, grump...
the lesson continued...







The shear concentration involved was hysterical!!




I was there to take a picture or two and to work on some things I'm starting now for Christmas...but I did have to point out that Aunt B has defiantly mellowed over the years since she taught me-why she hadn't even bopped my daughters head once this whole lesson!!!







Hold your horses! Is that my daughter doing the *under glasses look*?!

Look out- this is where it started getting serious-ok it never really got serious, but this is when measures were taken to improve the learning environment-glasses off-hair pinned up & back to work...


Ok as serious as it was before ...





You could see right when every thing Aunt B was telling her clicked.













One of Aunt B's favorite things to do is undo your stuff to show you how to fix a mistake--ahem I remember mine coming undone lots of times...
By the by, this is not what happened here-no-I believe it was the length of the tail lesson and how to tell how much to leave for casting on for new projects- ! inch for each stitch casting on-5 stitches= 5 inches. 90 stitches=90 inches etc..





Just for me Aunt B lifted the hair so I felt better about her not being taught like I was :D
It didn't even break her concentration... she was deemed her best student so far.

So you can bet when my daughter comes to me and asks if I know how to tat, make bobbin lace, or do netting and other "lost arts" I will be pointing her right back to the porch at Aunt B's house-Because she knows how to do all that and more-and is willing to teach anyone who wants to learn...
And for the record, while Aunt B teaches my daughter, I'm teaching my daughter's daughter important things as well-
Last Monday she helped me make 2 batches of Strawberry freezer jam for Gramp (and her)

It doesn't look like much, but it made 12 1/2 cups of jam and one very tired mixer helper...


Remember;
We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance.
Encourage each other!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment